In our ongoing series on scholarship opportunities, we look at the Utrecht University Excellence 2023 Scholarship for International Students.
The Utrecht Excellence Scholarship (UES) is a very selective programme for talented international students from outside the European Economic Area who wish to study for a master’s at Utrecht.
The UES will often be awarded either as:
- The tuition fee
- The tuition fee plus the income required for one year and linked to a residence permit for study and determined by the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).
The scholarship will then be renewed for the second year if you complete a two-year master’s programme.
To be eligible for the UES, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must be in the top 10% of your graduating class.
- You must not be a holder of an EU/EEA passport and must not be eligible for support under the Dutch study grant and loan system.
- You must have graduated high school or completed your bachelor’s degree outside the Netherlands.
- Must have applied for an international master’s programme from September 1, 2023. You can check the Master’s programme > Tuition fees and financial support to see if UES is mentioned as a scholarship opportunity.
How to Apply
To apply, you will need to submit an application or applications for a UES-eligible master’s programme before the stated deadline (February 1, 2024). The UES applications will be in your OSIRIS Online Application account dashboard.
Here, you can click view/edit, and it will bring you the UES linked to the programme that you wish to apply for. Then upload the proof requested that you belong to the 10% of your class, answer the relevant questions, and submit.
The selection process will kick off after the February 1, 2024, deadline, and you should get feedback by mid-April 2024.