As Twitter slowly unravels under the ownership of Elon Musk, Meta has decided to take on the struggling text-based app with their won text-based app called Threads.
Referred to as a Twitter clone app by many people familiar with it, Threads is an app whose interface and entire outlook look eerily similar to Twitter. Threads are linked to Instagram and are the text-based companion of the photo app, allowing people to chat instantly with others, share video content, and generally interact as they would on Twitter.
Following its launch early last week, Threads already has 30 million people signed up to the app, and here are some of the features of Threads you should be aware of.
As mentioned, Threads is quite similar to Twitter. However, in Threads, your character limit is up to 500 characters, and you can also share photos and videos, with videos cut off at five minutes in length. Also, for now, at least, there are no ads on the site, which has become a bit of a bother back on Twitter.
Threads also do not have a verification scheme. Instagram’s blue checks will port over to the Thread accounts.
Since the app is linked to your Instagram account, sharing posts from your Threads to the Instagram feed or story is much more convenient too. Below are steps on how to install threads.
To install Threads on Android or iPhone:
- Go to your phone’s Play Store or App Store
- On the search bar, search Threads.
- You will get a white @ symbol against a black background. Click on it and download it.
- Once downloaded, open it and tap ‘Log-in with an Instagram account.
- Select your interests, and there you go! Welcome to Threads and join the other 30 million people in the latest app on the market.